13 October 2011

the well of encounter: how we met




We were frequently asked as to how we met. I guess that's because most were surprised with the engagement--or because it seemed silent. I plan to share some bits tonight, although Gen's version (we have the same, though) is printed in the wedding invites. I hope I can word them well as I am overtaken by favor, love, grace and delight.

Back in 2006, Micah and I were booked to go to San Fernando, La Union to speak at a youth camp. Sadly, we had to call off the arrangement for a valid reason. After that, I found PK's (pastors kids) and some youth leaders adding, messaging me in Friendster (that was prolly the prominent social networking site back then)--mostly inquiring of God's work here in Davao. I was glad to accommodate them all. 

Come October-November 2007, Ate Raya (along with other youth leaders in PCGAMI-Mindanao) setup a Youth Summit in CDO. The vision of the gathering started as a gathering for PKs. I remember Ate Raya contacting me and my brother to somehow light a fire in our hearts for a gathering. It turned out to be a bigger one as we welcomed all church leaders. As the event neared, I was accustomed to getting inquiries from different leaders(Ate Raya and husband, Kuya Joey just came from La Union for a youth gathering. I was told my name was mentioned there)--including Genesis Supsup who emailed me and tried to get me a short YM chat (with how he knew my address: found my email address in Friendster). It was rather a quick conversation that ended up with him saying, "Thank you for all the info regarding the summit. We might not be able to make it as we have pressing needs right now. Nonetheless our hearts are with you guys. And... I know you're a very busy person... really, thank you for allowing me to chat with you. You might as well delete me on your contacts list."

The 5-minute exchange ended. I deleted the contact. haha.

Gen remained a passing inquiry. It was after several months (2008 na =D) that I heard from him again. I was trying out the blog feature of Friendster. Gen commented on this: "It's okay to sleep a hundred years and be kissed by the right prince than be kissed a hundred times by the wrong frog." I remembered him saying, "Have you ever thought why girls long for a prince when princes almost always pass a frog-season." (not verbatim)

Hmm... striking... 


I asked myself, "bitaw noh? Pandamay."

That year, we had very casual exchanges not until I came back from the youth summit held at Nasuli. Gen asked how it was. I heard from him again. But things remained plain and short. It caught my attention though when a few days passed my 26th birthday came. He wrote me a birthday note that had good length. Knowing the unentertaining-to-guys-kind-of-girl that I am, I only managed to reply "thank you" as I did to all who slipped me an e-message.

A month quickly cycled. December 10-12, 2008 were three great days at Cuneta. Yes, the second National G12 Conference. I met lots of new friends including those that I get to talk to online... Christian leaders that remain great friends today (yes, including Jez Manugue--one of the bridesmaids). And I quite forget that I hadn't met Gen yet. 


The last session closed and my parents were booked to meet with Ptr. Cesar Castellanos that evening. Mom asked me to bring the camera to their seat (front line). The spot was packed as people were crowding for photos with the speakers (Lorena and Sarah were there then). Bem and I squeezed our way to our parents finding them with Auntie Becky and two others---Tita Nars (Gen's mom) and Gen being introduced to our parents. I handed the cam, getting us introduced to them. He stretched his hands for a handshake. (I recognized this guy from the photos.) I exclaimed, "Uy, Genesis!"--I was happy I finally met all the leaders I met on the web.
  
He didn't say a word. #pwedemaulaw


I introduced Bem and left. I was embarrassed. I thought I have mistaken him with the guy at Friendster/PCGAMI PK.

December Twelve ended.


We arrived Davao the next Saturday. I found a message in my inbox saying, "Hi Rej. How;s your flight home? I just want to tell you I feel blessed meeting you in person. It matters to me sending this note."

Eeeeek.

Di na gyud ko ganahan mo-reply unta. But I thought, at least, tama ko na mao gyud to siya na guy. Things remained plain --and truly, I am so glad and proud how Gen maneuvered our progressing conversations from then on--that's why I remained to be there in the journey. He knew the topics I like to dwell on and those that I don't. (will insert a thought sana--but will post nalang another entry) I think that pays for the long progress. hehehe.


Yes, we met that night. At a conference... At a place where God's presence fell and people feasted on it, in His Word and where living water flows. The well of Encounter... Maki-barkada na mi ila Isaac ug Rebekah, Jacob and Rachel and Moses and Zipporah... We never knew we'd be here someday. But yes, we're [here] at the place we used to secretly wondered if there's a "there" for the two of us.


To God be the glory.


We are really humbled. With the impossibilities of being geographically apart, it is only God who can create an honest friendship within two people. #Godloveswritingstoriesoftheheart

2 comments:

purethoughts said...

wala diay to katingog c ading ba kay na tulala! lol! cute love story doice... i am so blessed to be a part of it. God is good.. and writes the best love stories!

pasto♛ej said...

daghan mi natun-an te... buotan lang pud gyud ang Ginoo all through out! thank you for always being there...

heart to heart

Followers

Contributors

Genesis+Rejoice

Genesis+Rejoice